That's MRS. Elliottpreciouspants to you!!

I just got married, and I talk about it. A lot. I also have pet bunnies, which I talk about, sort of a lot, too.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Midwife news

Went to the midwife yesterday, everything is fine. I've gained 20 pounds, which isn't crazy. My blood pressure was 116/64, which is good. They did a group B strep test, which I don't have results for yet.

BUT.....

It got a little more exciting than all that.

During the group B strep test, they do an exam to see the angles or your uterus and if the baby's head is down (apparently they can feel it through the cervix), and some results said:

1. The baby's head is down. In fact, it's at the -1 position, which means it is inside the pelvis just about engaged in the birth canal.

2. My cervix is 50% effaced (it thins out and goes away before you give birth, they call that being effaced).

3. I am dilated 1 cm.

!!! Kevin I were very excited by all this, and the midwife seemed very surprised! I don't know how common all this is, I tried to ask, but the midwife just said "It's normal for some people". That doesn't really tell me much.

She did say that I could still go the four weeks to my due date (ok, 3 weeks, 4 days) but she doesn't think I will go that long.

!!!

She also said that while she was feeling his head, he kept moving it around as she touched it, like "What is that? Something's touching me! What's happening??" :) hee hee. Silly Pants.

If you want more details, you will have to look them up (about effacement and dilation and stuff) because unfortunately, I just told you everything I know.

:) Shouldn't be too long now....worst case scenario--5 weeks 4 days. They'll only let me go two weeks over.

Oh! And I made her guess the weight based on feeling him, and she told me she he isn't small, she thinks he's about 7 and a half pounds right now! Wouldn't that be something?

6 Comments:

At September 01, 2006 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's pretty normal. in first pregnancies, sometimes a cervix will stay closed and long for a really long time, and usually you see dilation and effacement way before the due date in women who have had babies before. but it can totally happen in first pregnancies too. some women walk around 3cm dilated for a few weeks, which i've always found vaguely disturbing. i have a feeling he'll be a big healthy kid. sounds like he's ready to get on with things! the other thing that happens to some moms is that the baby doesn't descend, head doesn't engage, etc, and it can become an issue if it doesn't happen by the time the kid decides to come out. women died in childbirth for a lot of years before anyone really figured out what to do for a kid the wrong way (butt first- called breech, or foot first- called footling breech). there's a pretty simple thing called a version, which sounds sorta fancy, but just involves doctors grabbing your belly, finding the kid, and pulling on him through your belly to get him to turn. it doesn't always work, and it's pretty weird to see- there's a regular belly, they start pulling and prodding, and there's a baby outine, then they haul it around. seems uncomfy. sounds like b.p. has things under control though. he and your uterus are both geniuses!

 
At September 04, 2006 11:25 AM, Blogger S said...

haha. I just love the thought that's he's like "DUDE - WTF???" as the midwife prods his head.

 
At September 04, 2006 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my thoughts of the day on elliott's pregnancy- jesus, even with the crying and feeling large (though looking cute) and worry and potential of having to care for another human, it must be nice to not get a period for 10 months or so...

 
At September 05, 2006 8:30 AM, Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

It cracks me up, too, that he's all startled and weirded out by someone touching his head. It must be so weird to be in his position--the only world he's ever known to date is my uterus, and it must seem like an eternity to him that he's been in there. Hee hee:)

And yes, I must admit, no period is pretty nice:):) I don't miss that. At all.

 
At September 06, 2006 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

andy! yay!

is there a babypants yet?

 
At September 07, 2006 7:13 AM, Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

Andy!!!!!!

I miss you so much, my friend! I was in the car the other day, and your song came on (You know, the Humpty Dance), and I got all misty and nostalgic, and thought, I better e-mail him.

Can you tell from my picture that I'm pregnant?? I'm so glad you stop in once in a while--thank you for leaving a comment:).

And no Mr. Pants yet. But I do have an appointment at 3:30 today--2 weeks, 5 days left until my due date.....:):)

He could be born anytime now, and he would be full term. I still think he's going to be late though.

You guys wil know when he's born, Kevin and my mom will be letting people know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home