That's MRS. Elliottpreciouspants to you!!

I just got married, and I talk about it. A lot. I also have pet bunnies, which I talk about, sort of a lot, too.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Surprise! A work baby shower?!?

My coworkers threw me a surprise baby shower yesterday afternoon--it was really nice, and I was really surprised!

I surprised them too--because they told me there was a meeting upstairs, and it was NOW, and I was on the phone and had to finish up my phone call. I finished, and then sprinted upstairs to the conference room. I went up the back steps--and then I snuck in the back door for the meeting, because I was late and I didn't want everyone to know I came in late.

When I came in, there were a bunch of people talking and hanging out, and I was like "What the heck? I thought there was a meeting?" So I asked the guy next to me "What's this emergency meeting about??" He looked at me, and then said "uh, Surprise!" Then everyone turned and looked at us and said "Surprise!"

And I said, "Who's the surprise for??? I thought it was a meeting!"

And, as it turns out, it was a surprise for ME. But they were all surprised, because I snuck in the back door, and they were all watching the front door for me. Ooops. I thought I was late!

Here are some pics they took from the party of me opening some presents and being all surprised--I hope this tides some of you over til I get the courage to post some grotesque pregnant pictures.

(By the way, my last appointment was last thursday, and I had gained EIGHT POUNDS in two weeks. I was totally horrified, despite the fact that the midwife told me not to worry, and it was normal. Last night, we were at the birth center again for a class, and I 'cheated' and weighed myself there last night, hoping to avoid the shock and horror of my next appointment in a week. And I was DOWN 2 and a half pounds. I'm sorry, but all I can feel is thank God. Total weight gain: 17 pounds. Well, 16.5. We'll see how I make out next week--she said since I had spiked up, that I might go down a few, so, no worries!)

OKay, I have tried several times now to post all five pictures, but blogger will only allow me two, despite the fact tht it says that the picture will be posted when I choose 'done'.

Sorry guys. Only two. What am I doing wrong with the pictures? Why don't they show when I post them? I had this problem a while back, and never figured out the problem.

7 Comments:

At August 25, 2006 11:40 AM, Blogger * said...

How exciting? What did you get? How was it?

It's funny that this happened to you today, or that I am reading about this today as I think there's one in preparation RIGHT NOW for me (if I'm wrong, I'll feel silly).

That's hilarious about you coming in through the back door. Perhaps I should find a way to do that...

 
At August 28, 2006 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're adorable, and not huge at all! i'm getting so excited for babypants to get here- not that i think you aren't.... do you feel ready?

 
At August 28, 2006 1:31 PM, Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

CM--did you have a baby shower?? That's so weird that we both had one going on! Kevin knew about it, but he never said a THING! It was nice, there was cake and they got me a pack and play, and 85 bucks cash. That's going into the college fund (we're in the process of opening a 529 for him). If you had one, how was yours? Did you find a way to sneak in the back door?:)

Melissa--Thank you. I have other less flattering pictures Kevin took, I will have to post those. They actually show the stretch marks I think---ewww! But you asked for it:):)

But man, do I ever know how you feel, I can't WAIT for him to get here! With the combination of excitement/ hormones/ discomfort, I'm BARELY sleeping now, and I keep thinking of all these scenarios and all this great stuff I'm going to get to do with my son, all the cute outfits I'll make him wear (until he's old enough to argue, of course) and how I hope his girlfriends and future wife like me-- or boyfriends, for that matter--I really don't give a blankety blank blank about whether or not he's hetero or homo, I just want to be a part of his life, no matter what he is. or does.

I'm not even kidding. My head is full of (and overcome by) visions of halloween costumes and snowsuits and baking cookies and little boys in shirts and ties for first communion, dinosaurs, and teaching him how to read and write and thomas the tank engine and watching soccer games, and tee ball, and covering my eyes and wincing when he gets older and wants to play hockey or football. If he wants to do those things. I don't know. I think he will though, because Kevin really enjoys those things, and my brothers do, and you know how often little boys are influenced by the other men in their lives (aka Ben always wants to wear a baseball cap, because my brother and his uncle on his mom's side do it).

And I know it sounds retarded, but I am so proud of him! I'm so proud that he's lived so long in my uterus now, and he's getting bigger and stronger, and he kicks and he moves! And sometimes he presses down on my bladder and that actually hurts, but, I know he doesn't know what he is doing--he's just exploring his territory, and that makes me think he must be so smart, and adventurous!

And I hope I don't screw him up too much, and I hope he only gets hurt enough so that he turns out to be a decent human being. And I hope he's not retarded or anything, because my heart would break for him--I want him to have every advantage.

And then I think about sending him off to kindergarten, and that breaks my heart too, because it's only 5 years away, and 5 years just isn't that long. And then, I think about his high school graduation, which is only 18 years away. Kevin says it's a lot, but you know--I'm 28, and in a few years, I will have lived 18 years TWICE. So it's not that far. And then it hits me how in a few weeks, he's going to be a separate human being from me. He's going to be his own person! And I miss him already a little. Whcih sounds insane, because I'm so tired, and so uncomfortable.....and so ready to have him. But still.

I guess we are physically ready. We have a bunch of baby stuff--I can't think of anything else we need. Maybe a pair of little baby jeans, or some little blue pants to go with all the little blue 0-3 month onesies he got.

We washed three loads of blankets and 0-3 month size clothing, and a few 3-6 month sizes, in case he's enormous. We bought some special baby laundry detergent (dreft) and washed a bunch of little stuff, and it's all so little and cute.....

*sigh*. I think we are ready. 4 weeks 1 day.

 
At August 28, 2006 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're already such a good mom...

 
At August 29, 2006 7:49 AM, Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

I'm glad you said 'good mom' instead of 'insane mom'.

Thanks for that:) I appreciate it:)

 
At August 29, 2006 10:26 AM, Blogger * said...

Re: insane mom...

That too.

JK :) It's good that you recognize that the time is indeed short. Obviously, you don't want to think too much about the future and missing out on things because then you can't enjoy the present, but it's always good to think ahead and make the most of the present. Boy is already two and that time has totally flown by.

 
At August 29, 2006 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

true about the failing to enjoy the present. but it sounds like you're doing well in that respect, in that you're already savoring all these good momments. the warning from that would be not to idealize your expectations so much that you get disappointed when times actually come, but i think you're good there too- as evidenced by the flexibility in girl/ boyfriends (I wish andy felt that way- i worry a little that he would be intolerant of something like that). either way- good moms are crazy, as far as i can tell. remember that crazy and dysfunctional are very separate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home