That's MRS. Elliottpreciouspants to you!!

I just got married, and I talk about it. A lot. I also have pet bunnies, which I talk about, sort of a lot, too.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

How terrible would it be?

OK, so after some negotiation, the name Elliott James is back on the table.

Marcus James, Theodore James, and Elliott James.

And actually, last night, I dreamt up two more names--Elias James and Isaac James, but I haven't asked Kevin about them yet.

But I like them a lot.

Now, not EVERYONE knows this, but you all know this--I had a pet named Elliott. He was a gray and white bunny, and like Evita, he died before his time. He was only two, and he had some intestinal problems and he died. And it broke my heart because I loved him so fiercly (I think you can only understand if you have had pets that you truly love).

I suggested Elliott earlier, and Kevin said no way, because evidently he thought it was just after my bunny, and he didn't want to name our kid after my pet. I didn't really feel it was after my pet--I mean ok, I had a pet named Elliott, but, I still really love the name and think it's adorable. If I never had a pet named Elliott, I would still want to use the name.

After more discussion with Kevin, he understands that I don't want to name him Elliott AFTER the bunny--I just truly love the name. But we have decided to keep this to ourselves for the time being. Most of our family and friends know about Elliott the bunny, at least most on my side, and might make the connection. My parents and brothers would IMMEDIATELY make the connection, and would be very critical.

But through his life, friends and strangers that he meets would have no idea that I had a pet named Elliott, too.

He might hear it someday from a family member, something like "You know, before you were born, your mom had a pet rabbit named Elliott, too".

So, my question is--is that terrible to do to a kid? I mean, he's going to way outlive the rabbit, and the rabbit's memory will fade, right? And the fact that our son shares a name with a passed on pet will eventually fade, too, and the name will become only our son's name.

Would it be wrong or cruel for a child to share a name with a beloved pet? Provided of course the name is human appropriate (Sareet, I don't think you should name your future daughter Pig, after your dog. Just FYI!:)).

What do you think? Am I crazy? And if you read this and have contact with either of our families, don't tell them we are considering the name. His family might not know about/ remember about the bunny Elliott. My family will SURELY know about it, and they would really give me hell and tell me I'm a nutcase.

Are they right?

5 Comments:

At September 13, 2006 2:20 PM, Blogger S said...

I have always loved the name Elliot. I think you should totally name him that. Doesn't matter that you named a bunny that - it just shows how much you love the name!

 
At September 13, 2006 3:31 PM, Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

Thanks. I am glad to hear it wouldn't be child abuse to name your kid after a pet that has passed on.

We are considering it. By the way, Kevin vetoed Elias. Ah well.

I am personally leaning towards Theodore or Elliott now. I just think Theodore sounds beautiful, Teddy sounds cute, Ted sounds strong and masculine, and Theo shounds like--a huxtable. All good.

 
At September 13, 2006 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like elliott and isaac, personally, especially with your last name. elias and marcus sound a little lisp-ish with your last name- or maybe tongue twister-ish. initially i thought- theodore? really? but Ted is alright, theo is cute, and you could go with TJ also... i like the options. how neat that out of all the words in the world, you get to choose a few to call your kid forever.

 
At September 14, 2006 6:19 AM, Blogger ElliottPreciousPants said...

So you think Elliott is acceptable too--even though I had a pet named that?

 
At September 14, 2006 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for sure. it's your kid, and if other people don't like it, screw them (to put it politely). They will get over it, and they will love him whatever his name is. I have cousins who were both pregnant at the same time. one decided to name her baby sheri ann if it was a girl, and she told everyone. the other cousin had her baby first, and guess what? named her sheri ann. me, if i had the kid second, i'd have chosen something else, because it's goofy to have two (they're sisters, these two cousins of mine). but nope. second baby, second sheri ann. a little weird, but whatever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home